Google Ziets' Yeast and Sourdough Baking Page: Baguettes: Are They Really So Difficult To Make?

Monday 5 August 2013

Baguettes: Are They Really So Difficult To Make?



I was scared of making baguettes for a long time. For no apparent reason, just an eerie feeling of awe. Perhaps the whole reputation of the baguette got to me.


Until today. I decided that this is just another bread recipe and I am quite able to make bread. In fact, I have been researching and practicing the art for almost a year now. About time for the leap of faith, don't you think?

I already crossed the hurdle of having steam in the oven, so that would not be a problem. I also solved the problem of over-baking the loaves, which has to do with the fan in the oven and having a more even temperature gradient in the oven. I now use a temperature setting of 20-25 degrees C lower than what the recipe asks for. After the requisite baking time, I check the status of the loaves and may up the temperature or leave the loaves to bake a bit longer or both. The problem only arises when you already have too high a temperature and things happen faster than one anticipates. Perhaps there is another lesson there.


...Read More...


Authored by Johan Zietsman.

Reposted from The Hungry Sailor on 2013-08-05

No comments:

Post a Comment